These are Paleo style cookies that will stand up to any traditional grain filled cookie out there. For a while there, I thought I would never be able to savor a delicious chocolate chip cookie again. Well, I am happy to report that I was so very wrong!
1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/3 cup palm shortening, room temp.
(can substitute with coconut oil, butter, or ghee)
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup sunflower seed butter, room temp. (can sub. almond butter)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg, room temp
1 cup soy-free, dairy-free, chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer or stand mixer, beat together the Palm shortening and sugar at medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add in the sunflower seed butter and vanilla extract and mix on medium speed until combined. Beat in the egg on low and mix until well incorporated. Stir in the flour mixture and chocolate chips and pecans until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C) and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper or use baking mat.
- Roll the dough into small (ping pong size) balls and place 1-2″ apart on the prepared baking sheet. Press the cookies down lightly with the palm of your hand or a fork.
- Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the surface of the center of the cookies no longer appears wet and starting to brown on the edges. They’ll be very soft but will continue to cook as they sit on the cookie sheet.
- Spread the dough out evenly onto prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt, if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until starting to brown on the edges. They’ll be very soft but will continue to cook as they sit on the cookie sheet.
cookies or bars
Variation 1 – Cranberry Spice: Replace chocolate chips with dried cranberries. Add 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice.
Variation 2 – Double Chocolate Brownie: Add ¼ cup cacao powder and ¾ cup chopped dates and 2T softened butter. Coat the chopped dates with the cacao powder and add to dry ingredients. Add the 2T butter with the sunflower seed butter.